Written by: Study Bergen


If you are a citizen of the EU/EEA staying in Norway to study for more than 3 months, you need to register online and visit the police station. 

Residence registration certificate

EU/EEA students must register if they are staying in Norway for more than 3 months. If you are an EU/EEA student and you meet the registration requirements you will be issued a residence registration certificate. A registration certificate is a document that confirms the police have registered you as an EU/EEA national living in Norway. Staying in Norway longer than 3 months without registering may lead to a fine. For more information, explore webpage of the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI).

Register online and visit the police station

Some of the registration requirements you can expect to have to meet include being admitted to an accredited educational institution, being able to support yourself and any family members joining you, and having medical insurance (private or European Health Insurance Card).  

  1. Register through the UDI website.
  2. Hand in your documents in person. Check with the institution you have enrolled in, some institutions schedule dates for students to hand in documents to the Bergen Immigration Office (police station). If your institution hasn't scheduled a time for you to hand in documents, schedule a time while logged in to the UDI website.
  3. Generally you will need to show the following documents: your passport, proof of acceptance to the institution you will attend, European Health Insurance Card or other health insurance documentation, a personal declaration stating that you have sufficient funds to support yourself (printed and signed). You will not be charged a fee for this process.

For more detailed information please visit UDI's website and follow their instructions.


Follow us